An essay is one of the most widespread types of academic writing. There are several reasons for this: first, essays can be very short, and students can easily prepare one good essay during a day; second, essays can be devoted to different subjects, topics, or events; third, essays help to develop writing skills, analytical thinking, and creativity. Therefore, it is not surprising that students compose so many essays during the educational process.
Historical essays are very useful for students who want to discuss different important historical events, and express their own opinions concerning these events or famous people, while for History course students, writing about history is totally unavoidable. Here is the list of the most popular topics that touch upon the history of the United States of America:
Events Important for History of The United States of America
- Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus.
- The foundation of Jamestown Settlement.
- The Salem witch trials.
- Boston Tea Party.
- Signing of Declaration of Independence.
- The treaty of Paris.
- Ratification of US Constitution and Bill of Rights.
- The Louisiana purchase.
- The Emancipation Proclamation.
- Assassination of Abraham Lincoln.
- Ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment to the Constitution: the beginning of gender equality.
- Stock Market Crash.
- The Great Depression.
- Pearl Harbor Attack.
- Birth of United Nations and UN Security Council.
- US Lands on the Moon.
- Assassination of John Kennedy.
- Assassination of Martin Luther King.
- Explosion of the space shuttle “Challenger.”
- September 11, 2001: World Trade Center Twin Towers Destroyed.
- Hurricane Katrina.
The Greatest Wars in American History
- The French and Indian War.
- The War for Independence.
- The Mexican-American War.
- The Civil War.
- World War II
- The Vietnam War.
The Most Prominent Presidents of the USA
- George Washington.
- Abraham Lincoln.
- Theodore Roosevelt.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- John F. Kennedy.
- Barack Obama.
The Most Famous Americans (Musicians, Actors, Singers, and Others)
- Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Bill Gates.
- Bob Dylan.
- Charlie Chaplin.
- John D. Rockefeller.
- Henry Ford.
- Marilyn Monroe.
- Steve Jobs.
- Michael Jackson.
- Andy Warhol.
- Frank Sinatra.
- Muhammad Ali.
- Jimi Hendrix.
- Ansel Adams.
- Christopher Columbus.
- Oprah Winfrey.
- Hillary Clinton.
Each of these topics can be easily developed into a short or long essay about the influence of one or another event or a person on the history of such a great country as the United States of America. Consequently, try to define what problem, event or person you would like to discuss in your paper, and choose the topic according to your decision. The Internet is full of various historical materials at free access; therefore, writing of a historical essay would not be a challenging task. On the contrary, learning of the history of your native country and collecting different materials about it may seem very interesting.